Welcome to Millersburg Borough's Public Park System
Millersburg Borough manages five public parks covering 20 acres. These publicly owned open spaces account for 3.9 percent of the land in the borough. The park season typically runs from early April through late October, depending on the weather. The borough's public works department maintains the parks for the enjoyment of our citizens and visitors.
The park pavilions are available to rent throughout the season.
MYO #1: 15 picnic tables $55
MYO #2: 10 picnic tables $55
Seal #1: 4 picnic tables $55
Seal #4: 13 picnic tables $60
Gazebo in the Square: $55
Stage at Riverfront Park $55
Contact the Borough Secretary to make reservations. Get your reservations in early as the pavilions fill up quickly. Call 717-692-2389.
The parks are also available for wedding venues and receptions. Call or email for details.
General Park Rules
Millersburg Borough asks that all park patrons follow the park rules so that everyone can enjoy our shared public spaces.
1. Park Hours are 9 a.m. until dusk.
2. Alcohol and controlled substances are prohibited.
3. No parking on the grassy areas.
4. Pets must be leashed at all times and droppings must be promptly cleaned up.
5. Please do not litter.
6. Use only charcoal in the Park grills. Gas grills may be used, but are not provided.
7. Electricity at the pavilions is provided; however, it is not guaranteed.
8. Water is available.
9. Be courteous to other Park patrons. No foul language.
10. Any defacement, removal or damage of any Park property will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Millersburg Borough Ordinance 8-11 establishes a 25 foot wide barrier around all athletic fields, pavilions, play equipment, restrooms, and parking lots. Smoking and tobacco use is prohibited within 25 feet of these structures and facilities.
Master Parks Plan
Millersburg Borough adopted a Master Parks Plan in 2009. This document guides the future development of the park system. Some of the recommendations of the plan, including a walking path and restroom at Riverfront Park have already been completed.
Key Initiatives of the Master Parks Plan:
~ Riverfront Park Improvements
- Walking/Jogging/Biking Trail
- Ferryboat Landing and Dry Dock Updates
- Bathroom for Ferryboat Landing
- Boat Launch near Gun Club
~ New Entrance For MYO Park
- Acquire Property along route 147
- Obtain permission to cross railroad track into MYO park near baseball field grandstand
- Close existing Entrance
~ Lykens Valley Rail Trail
- Portion of Trail West of Woodside Station Rd
- Create Site plan along proposed route
Explore Our Parks
The land bordering the Susquehanna River between Moore Street and the Wiconisco Creek was set aside by Daniel Miller, founder of Millersburg, for public use. It is the home of the Historic Millersburg Ferry and a boat launch. The borough constructed a restroom/welcome center and a hiking trail and planted 21 new trees in 2012 using a variety of grant funds. Come and enjoy a stroll down the 2,000 foot trail under the majestic trees.
Seal Park was constructed in the 1970s and dedicated to William Seal and his family in 1980. At 9.7 acres, it is the largest park in the Borough's park system. Located adjacent to the Millersburg Area Middle/High School and the Millersburg Swimming Pool, Seal Park is the main focal point for active recreation for young children. Since 2012, Millersburg Borough has been upgrading the facilities at the park. Seal Park also features a full Little League field for the youth in the community.
MYO Park is the most rustic of the Borough Parks. The grounds were once home to the Wiconisco Canal, which was part of the Pennsylvania Canal System. The 1889 floods destroyed the canal, though a portion of the canal and the tow path still exists. Some World War I veterans decided to clean up the area and by 1930 the borough purchased the park and annexed the land into the borough. MYO is an acronym for the long defunct Millersburg Youth Organization. In 1927, a wooden "swinging bridge" was constructed, linking MYO Park with Riverfront Park. The 1972 flood destroyed the bridge and a pavilion that was used for meetings, skating and dances. The community raised funds to rebuild the swinging bridge and work on the new structure was completed in 1997. The park also features a play area and a baseball field, which is used by the Teener League and the Millersburg Area High School Baseball team.
Located on Church Street, this park features a softball field that is used by the Millersburg Area Girls Softball league. A small plot to the north of the field serves as a bird sanctuary.
In the heart of downtown Millersburg lies a New England style town square, bisected by Market Street/US Route 147. The Eastern side of the park is known as Market Square and features a large gazebo that hosts a number of community events. The first structure was built in 1891 as a bandstand and it has been maintained in the same spot ever since, though it was completely rebuilt in 1998. In the center median lies a fountain, dedicated to the memory of Daniel Miller, founder of Millersburg. The fountain was built in 1907 during the town's centennial celebration. The flag pole was donated by the American Legion Post 326 in the 1920s to honor World War I Veterans. The western side of the park is Veterans Park. It features a statue dedicated to local Civil War veterans, a monument dedicated to veterans of all wars and a Civil War era cannon that was obtained by a local businessman in 1897. The park also features a Christmas tree that serves as the center of the community's annual Christmas light display. The local Girl Scouts provided a free "Little Library" in Market Square Park.
The Millersburg Swimming Pool is located between Center and North Streets, across the street from Seal Park. It was built in 1959 using funds from the sesquicentennial (150th year) celebration in 1957 and underwent extensive renovations in 1991. The pool is a popular gathering spot for local youth during the summer. Annual and daily passes are available.